« « Know your speed | Flood ahead? » »

Animals and antifreeze

While antifreeze is very important for your car’s health, it’s not so great for ours. Handle the stuff with care and keep it out of reach of children and pets. Most antifreeze contains a substance called monoethylene glycol which is very harmful when swallowed. That’s why you must take care when adding it to your engine, and ensure you don’t leave spills or open bottles lying around.

Vets often see a rise in antifreeze poisoning cases in pets around autumn when drivers begin preparing their cars for winter. Antifreeze can have a sweet taste that is attractive to dogs and cats. It’s good to know Halfords’ antifreeze, for example, contains a bittering agent (an additive with a very unpleasant taste) as an added precaution against accidental swallowing by animals.